Horticulture in the agriculture industry
Horticulture Vs. Agriculture
Linguistically the term agriculture comes from the combination of the Latin words agri (field) and cultura (cultivation). Horticulture comes from the combination of the Latin words hortus (garden) and cultura.
- Horticulture strictly involves plant cultivation only while agriculture deals with cultivation of crops as well as animal farming.
- Horticulture may include plants that are not for human consumption while agriculture mainly focuses on crops for human consumption.
Why is Horticulture so important?
- The horticulture industry is an important part of agriculture.
- Horticulture has become such a large, diverse industry that it can be found in many garden centers in several countries worldwide.
- Floricultural growers supply their products partly to the horticulture industry.
- House Plants growers supply part of their final products to garden centers.
- Horticulture raises direct and indirect employment of many sub sectors.
- Horticulture with its sub sectors raise the income of all those who are integrated in this industry.
- Horticulture can boost the economic development of the country.
- Horticulture produce is a challenge to developing countries. The challenge becomes more important due to the horticultural produce susceptibility, the increasing awareness on quality, and the tougher competition among those who are involved in this sector.
Floriculture and House Plant growers can easily consider the garden centers as another avenue for selling their final products for the local market.
Need additional information? All you need to do is contact us.