Greenhouse farming is the cultivation of variety of plants inside a building that have roofs and walls made of glass or plastic.
Greenhouse farming could help increase incomes of many rural households in many countries because huge parcels of land to start are not required.
Another advantage of greenhouse farming is that farmers can predict their harvest more accurately.
Greenhouse Farming characteristics
- Greenhouse Effect. The greenhouse effect is the rise in temperature that the earth experiences because certain gases in the atmosphere (water vapor, carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, and methane, for example) trap energy from the sun.
- Greenhouse growing is an intensive process of Agriculture.
- Greenhouse farming on a large scale can strike the correct balance between supply and demand.
- The final products can be available throughout the year.
- Greenhouse can provide an excellent controlled environment for plant production.
- The agricultural industry is suffering from loss of topsoil, sterilization of lands due to overuse of synthetic fertilizers and disruption of eco-systems due to indiscriminate use of pesticides. Greenhouse farming can use artificial media to solve that kind of problem.
- Commercial greenhouses are often high tech production facilities for vegetables or flowers fruits, herbs and others.
- Adding heat to a greenhouse can protect plants from freezing, speed up germination, and accelerate seedling growth and development of plants.
- Greenhouses are now able to use non-toxic, biological pest control methods, decreasing the need for pesticides and fungicides .
- Green Houses are using Hydroponics Technology to improve production.
How can Floriculture Consultancy 4U assist you?
Here are some questions that are needed to be asked:
- How to locate the greenhouse/s?
- What kind of crops would you like to grow in the greenhouse?
- Who are the leaders companies which are the suppliers of the commercial greenhouses.
- What are the advantages and the disadvantages of the cover materials (glass, polyethylene, polycarbonate etc.)?
- What kind of facilities will be needed to provide controlled environment for the specific crop or crops.
- Which appropriate drip irrigation systems are required in a large range of crops?
- Which kind of fertilization system is to be used?
- How to set up a propagation system?
- When to apply shade house as an alternative to greenhouse?
- Ask all the relevant questions in order to finance properly the complete enterprise.
As a grower you will have to employ the latest solution in this industry so you can provide higher quality produce and to obtain higher prices for your crops.
Have you ever considered launching a farm enterprise or increasing your existing project, but were not sure where to start? Trust Floriculture Consultancy 4U to help you grow.
Do not hesitate and contact us